Calcium Chloride* (Not for IM)

Calcium chloride is used in the treatment of hypocalcemia (low calcium), hyperkalemia (high potassium), and hypermagnesemia (high magnesium).

Dosage & Concentration

Dosage: 1 – 3ml’s IV, NOT for IM

Concentration: 100mg/ml (30ml vial)


Calcium chloride helps to regulate the levels of other minerals in the body. This makes it an important part of keeping the body functioning properly. Calcium is the fifth most abundant element in the body, and it is the major component of your bones. Calcium is essential to the function of our nervous and muscular systems, the coagulation of blood, and for normal contractility of the heart. Calcium also affects the secretory activity of endocrine and exocrine glands. In water, calcium chloride breaks down into calcium and chloride ions. These ions are regular components of body fluids and depend on other physiological mechanisms to maintain the balance from one’s intake and output. Approximately 80% of body calcium gets excreted in the feces as insoluble salts, and the remaining 20% is excreted through the urine.


What Is Calcium Chloride Acid Prescribed For?

Calcium chloride is used in the treatment of hypocalcemia (low calcium), hyperkalemia (high potassium), and hypermagnesemia (high magnesium). It is also used in the immediate treatment of hypocalcemic tetany, which causes muscle spasms due to abnormally low levels of calcium in the body.


Other Uses

Calcium chloride acts as an electrolyte, helping your body maintain fluid through activities and helps you to maintain proper muscle and nerve functioning. Calcium chloride also helps to maintain bone health and prevent muscle spasms.


Dosage, Concentration, Route of Administration

Dosage: Seek advice from a licensed physician, medical director, or other healthcare provider

Concentration: 200mg/ml

Route of Administration: For IV Injection only


Precautions/Side Effects

Calcium chloride interacts severely with the antibiotic ceftriaxone. Calcium chloride has moderate interactions with 48 different drugs and mild interactions with at least 52 different drugs. Therefore, it is extremely important to tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all medications you are taking and share it with your doctor or pharmacist. Check with your care provider for any questions or concerns. Calcium chloride should not be used by those with known or suspected digoxin toxicity; kidney stones; hypercalcemia (high calcium blood levels); and hypophosphatemia (low phosphate blood levels). It is not recommended as a routine treatment in cardiac arrest or as an intramuscular (IM) or subcutaneous administration. It is not recommended for those who are pregnant or breastfeeding. There is no data on use in pregnant women to know this drug’s risks, including the risk of fetal harm or reproductive effects. Breast milk normally contains calcium. It is unknown if calcium chloride distributes into breast milk, and there is no information regarding the effects it may have on a breastfed infant.


Some common side effects include:

  • – Redness
  • – Hypomagnesemia (low magnesium levels in the blood)
  • – Hypercalcemia (high calcium levels in the blood)
  • – Hypophosphatemia (low phosphate levels in the blood)
  • – Hypotension (low blood pressure)
  • – Nausea
  • – Vasodilation
  • – Weakness
  • – Kidney stones- indicated by back pain, belly pain, or blood in the urine
  • – Hot flashes
  • – Fainting or dizziness
  • – Injection site reactions: tingling, burning, inflammation of veins (phlebitis)
  • – Mood changes
  • – Cardiac arrhythmias
  • – Change in how much urine is passed
  • – Bone pain



Store at controlled room temperature. Protect from light.

Payment Plans

Get your dream body now, pay later with Cherry!
Choose your payment plan before your next appointment- won’t harm your credit!